We are very excited to announce two special releases we have for this upcoming Record Store Day on Friday, November 29th (“Black Friday”).
Beat Box : A Drum Machine Obsession is available everywhere December 3rd, for Record Store Day you get an early chance to buy the book with special packaging and musical components.
Adding an extra level of collectability to Joe Mansfield’s upcoming book which explores 75 classic drum machines – all from the author’s personal collection – the Record Store Day Edition, limited to 1,500 copies worldwide, will include:
- A premium 1 3/4 inch thick textured “leatherette” outer slip case to hold the book (to be released worldwide on December 3rd), with different cover graphics than Beat Box.[A schematic image of a Roland TR-808 drum machine]. The slip case also house an extra 7-inch and cassette, which are described below.
- A 7-inch – only available with this package, not sold separately – with unique cover artwork (outer cover and inner sleeve).
Side A : Joe Mansfield’s re-creation of the Beastie Boys’ 1986 classic “Paul Revere” instrumental.
Side B : the REVERSE version of Joe Mansfield’s instrumental, which plays from the inside of the record out (from what is usually the end of the record to the start). As fans will recall, the music used on the “Paul Revere” original was a backwards-masked Roland TR-808 drum program…So, the reverse version plays the “correct”/forward way.
- An exclusive cassette with 18 beats recreated by Joe Mansfield of various Pop, Rock, Hip Hop and Dance classics that span over 11 different drum machines (all featured in the book). Machines used include the Linn LM-1 Drum Computer, Oberheim DMX, Roland TR-808, Vox Percussion King and many more. Just like the 7-inch record, this cassette will only be available with the Record Store Day Edition and will not be sold separately.
Joe Mansfield’s 200-plus page Beat Box: A Drum Machine Obsession coffee-table book features 75 drum machines from the author’s personal collection, with more than 200 photos and images. Photography by Gary Land, with a foreword by Dave Tompkins. The book will be released worldwide on December 3, so this is a chance for consumers to purchase the book before it will be available anywhere else, plus get amazing extras that the regular version will not have.
Also for this coming Record Store Day we have our special 2-LP edition of Lee “Scratch” Perry’s 1976 monster release Super Ape.
The 2-LP vinyl-only set includes all of the original music, plus:
- Three extra songs: “Rastaman Shuffle” (single edit), “Magic Touch” and “Cornfish”(single edit)
- Side Four of the sets has no audio, but is etched with a unique Super Ape graphic
- 23″ x 23″ poster of album cover